Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Recent Moths

Recently, the mothing has been excellent. With the very warm days and nights, I have spent the past few evenings setting up the moth sheet trap to see what comes in. After visiting the Fit Strip in Marquette for my Ecology of the Northern Forest class, I knew I had to try it for moths. It is a nice mix of deciduous and coniferous forest, so I though diversity could be high. Looks like I was right. So far, it has been the best mothing I have had. Zach Gayk joined me last night (Aug 30, 2010) to see what it was all about. Here are some pictures of moths I have identified recently. 

Common Idia- Idia aemula
Common Pug- Eupithecia miserulata
False Hemlock Looper- Nepytia canosaria
Oblique-banded Leafroller Moth- Choristoneura rosaceana
Caloptilia violacella
Ectoedemia sericopeza
Large Yellow Underwing- Noctua pronuba
Green Cloverworm Moth- Hypena scabra
Meadow-Rue Borer- Papaipema unimoda
Corn Earworm Moth- Helicoverpa zea
Ipsilon Dart- Agrotis ipsilon

Water Veneer- Acentria ephemerella
Hop Vine Moth- Hypena humuli
This is related to the Green Cloverworm Moth, but is apparently much more uncommon. Notice this species lacks the thin black line midway along the inner margin. 
Hopefully I can identify some more of the dozens of other species I have yet to figure out.

David

No comments:

Post a Comment